A sump pump is a must for any home in Calgary. It performs the specific function of pumping out water that may flood your basement during rains. A sump pump is critical not just to keep your home dry, but prevents the flood from causing any serious water damage to your home.
At Byron’s Plumbing, we help customer pick the right sump pump, install it and ensure it is well maintained.
If your house has a serious water problem, you will need a sump pump. Here are some few tips that you should take into consideration before buying a sump pump.
- A submersible pump is a better option over a pedestal pump. A submersible pump will allow the sump pit to be covered with a lid. This will help to reduce the noise of the pump and will stop the debris from falling into the pit. Also, if you have an airtight lid, it will keep the moist air from being released into your home.
- Do not buy a sump pump made of plastic. One with a cast iron core will be great. It helps to dissipate heat to the surrounding water, and this, in turn, lengthens the life of the sump pump.
- If the sump pump has a no-screen intake design coupled with an impeller that can handle solids up to ½-inch in diameter, it will minimize the chance of clogs.
- Have a mechanical switch instead of a pressure one, and a solid float so that it can’t lead to water clogging.
You have a large variety of option to buy the right sump pump depending on your budget and the size of your home. With Byron’s Plumbing, we ensure that you pick the right sump pump without compromising on your set budget.
Have secondary and backup sump pumps
It is a good idea to have a secondary sump pump installed right next to the first one. If you have converted your basement into a living space or if you are storing vegetables there, then, you must consider this option. The backup sump pump will take over if your primary sump pump fails.
In order to ensure complete safety, a battery backup pump can be installed. During a storm, power goes off frequently. In this case, the battery-powered pump will continue pumping for at least two days, as per the demand.
Installing a sump pump
Sump pumps are easy to operate, but installing one is not an easy job. You can install a sump pump on your own, but having Byron’s Plumbing professionals do it for you will make you stress-free about proper installation and you will not have any problems arising in the future.
Here’s how you can install a sump pump in your basement:
- Search for the lowest point in your basement, the area where you normally first notice moisture accumulation. Dig a hole wide and deep enough to accommodate the sump pump. Once you penetrate the masonry, continue digging until the cavity can fit the pump basin.
- Wrap a layer of filter fabric around the basin exterior to prevent silt and sludge from clogging the basin. Add two or three inches of gravel to the bottom of the hole you created, then place a fieldstone over those pebbles in order to establish a stable platform. Now place the sump pump into the hole, backfilling around its perimeter with excavated dirt.
- Its float valve must be able to move freely up and down. Move it up and down with your hand to make sure there’s nothing obstructing it.
- Finally, plug in the pump and give it a test run.
Maintaining a sump pump
It is very important to test your sump pump regularly to make sure it will operate when the next big downpour occurs. You can test it by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit. The pump should turn on, remove the water from the pit and shut itself off in few seconds. Ensure that the float and the check valve moves freely.
You should clean your sump pit, remove any dirt, sand, and other debris to increase the pump’s efficiency and extend its life. Ensure that the discharge line opening is free of obstructions so that water can be pumped through the line and out of your basement. Running a maintenance check before spring season is a must to ensure that your sump pump is working. Our professionals are well-versed in cleaning and make sure that your sump pump functions without any problems.
Like all other things, sump pumps also have an expiry date. Sump pumps will wear out over a period of time, and will have to be replaced with new ones. It is not necessary to get your sump pump replaced every time you face some problem with it. You can get it checked and repaired by our Byron’s Plumbing professionals. If your sump pump still has life, you can be sure we will repair it. If not, we will assist you in replacing your sump pump.
A sump pump is only used once a year during the spring season when it rains. By reaching out to Byron’s Plumbing, you can make certain that you have a functioning sump pump and prevent your home from flooding. You can also contact Byron’s Plumbing for any emergency sump pump repairs you may have to have your sump pump immediately fixed.
Get a quick quote: